Re: chroot environment for ssh...

On Sat, 15 Mar 2003 20:24:04 +0100
Arnaud Fontaine <dsdebian@free.fr> wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I have installed a chroot environment on my web server under a Debian Woody in
> /var/services/chroot/sshs.

> 	/etc/passwd :
> 	sshd:x:100:65534::/var/run/sshd:/bin/false
> 	me:x:101:100:onlyatest:/home/arnaud/./:/bin/bash

> debug1: Found key in /root/.ssh/known_hosts:2

Maybe you need a line for root in /etc/passwd ?
Do you have something in /var/log/auth.log ?

Or do you try to connect as me@... ? Try running makejail with this option:
testCommandsOutsideJail=["ssh me@localhost"]
so it can detect files specifically accessed when this user tries to connect.

> I want to know if i could use the same directory for chroot environment for
> apache and ssh ? By example i use chroot for directory /var/services/chroot and
> i put ssh and apache in this directory.

The point of chroot is to isolate a service so if you don't have any reason to do
it you should avoid putting two different services in the same chroot environment
so they can't interfere.
Or do you mean two different directories under /var/services/chroot ? No problem,
but whatever the directories are it's better to have a partition for each service.

Alain