Re: machine monitoring packages

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 09:08:47PM +0100, Christian Hammers wrote:

>We (ISP) use several mechanisms:
>
>* a local watchdog shell script that is called by cron minutely and that
>	- checks "ps cax" if every process is there else it restarts it

I've seen services fail to work while they are still in the ps tree.
Speaking from experience, I'd recommend the watchdog tries to use the
service before it confirms it's working...

// George

--
GEORGE GEORGALIS, System Admin/Architect    cell: 347-451-8229
Security Services, Web, Mail,            mailto:george@galis.org