Re: Firewall testing

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 11:14:50AM -0500, merk0020 wrote:
> Hello I am about to make the Proxy/Firewall on your
> www.aboutdebian.com web site. I was wondering how to go about testing
> it when finished. I have multiple computers and various internet
> connections.

Put the firewall configuration on a test box.

Run an nmap scan over the test box and make sure it is consistent with
your firewall config.

Create an inside test script that, for each capability of the firewall,
generates an appropriate packet(s) and either succeeds or fails.

Do the same on an external box pointing at the test firewall.

Make sure you know the command(s) to reset your firewall back to a null
configuration.

Make sure the test firewall has a console or head during the test.

-dsr-

--
Network engineer looking for work in Boston area.
Resume at http://tao.merseine.nu/~dsr/