Re: Question about snort binaries..

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 09:34:35AM -0500, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 09:20:10PM -0800, Anne Carasik wrote:
> > apt-get -t unstable install snort
> > apt-get -t unstable install ssh
> > etc.
> >
> > So far, I haven't had any problems :)
>
> The potential for trouble is there, though.  If at some point in the
> future unstable's snort depends on perl 5.8, but perl 5.8 isn't yet in
> testing, you'll end up pulling in the unstable perl to your testing
> distribution and introducing far more changes than you bargained for.
>
> OK, that's not the best example, since neither ssh nor snort actually
> depend on perl...  But s/perl/glibc/ or libpcap or libsnmp4.2 or
> whatever.  There's plenty of potential to get yourself into trouble.

 That actually does happen on my mixed woody/unstable system.  I've got
unstable libc6, with its bugs (man -k segfaults sometimes because of new
regex implementation).  A lot of packages from unstable have versioned deps
on other packages from unstable, even libc6 a lot of the time.  I can live
with the instability because this is my home computer, but for a Real
Computer situation with multiple users that I don't want to knock on my
bedroom door for tech support, I'd build unstable packages from source, if
their build-deps could be satisfied from stable.  I suppose if the
build-deps couldn't be satisified from stable, you could build them from
source too.  Sometimes that's more trouble than it's worth just to try out a
package!

--
#define X(x,y) x##y