Re: OPENSSH REMOTE ROOT COMPROMISE ALL VERSIONS

On 2003.01.06, Phillip Hofmeister <plhofmei@zionlth.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Jan 2003 at 06:44:17PM +0100, Domonkos Czinke wrote:

Re-read the announcement.  The whole "gdb sshd as root" thing was to
/prove/ the vulnerability exists by explicitly showing you how to verify
where the free() would take place.

They could have put together a working exploit and distributed that as
their way of demonstrating the vulnerability's existance, but the way
they did it is a lot "friendlier" ... prove it exists, but don't give
out working code that exploits it.

-- Dossy

--
Dossy Shiobara                       mail: dossy@panoptic.com