Re: Putting Apache, PHP, Tomcat and CGI in a jail

The first thing I do not like is that makejail needs a lot of additional
software: python, stat, file etc.. As we all know, on production systems
is better to have less software because of potential security holes. OK,
we can remove all software after instalation, but how to upgrade then
chrooted applications, install python, etc. again? Second, it does not
create $CHROOT/etc/passwd and $CHROOT/etc/group correct. We can do it by
hand, but can we trust a program (script) which can not do:
gawk -F":" '$1 ~ /apache/' /etc/passwd > $CHROOT/etc/passwd
? I do not think so. Now I try write a script for creation of chrooted
environment which uses standart unix tools: bash, ldd, gawk (awk), grep,
file. In case of success I send link to you ;-)

Regards,
Martynas

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/ap-chroot-apache-env.en.html