Re: unknown udp port

ok, I get it now. In the configuration file there is the commented out
line

// query-source address * port 53;

which activates the default

query-source address * port *;

I couldn't understand the relation between the above configuration
option (which specifies an address and port to use when
_making_queries_) with the udp port that the server was already
_listening_on_.

What I figured out is that the server uses an unpriviliged random udp
port when originating queries to other name servers and that named binds
that udp port a priori and listens on that port waiting for replies to
questions it will make. I hope I got it right, could someone please
confirm that?

Anyway, I should squeeze my brain a little more, before bothering the
list ;-)

~kmag