Re: VPN question

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 07:02:59PM +0100, Andrea Frigido wrote:
> > Alle 13:02, giovedì 14 novembre 2002, Lionel Elie Mamane ha scritto:
>
> >> On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 12:43:48PM +0100, Iñaki Martínez wrote:
> >> While using a free OS is always better, you can use any other IPSEC
> >> implementation, they should interoperate. This being said, some /
> >> many IPSEC implementations support only the slow 3DES (and the
> >> insecure DES), so using freeswan (with modular extension patches,
> >> package kernel-patch-freeswan-ext) at both sides can give you a
> >> significant CPU power usage gain, by using Rijndael (the AES),
> >> Blowfish or such.
>
> > kernel-patch-freeswan-ext UNSTABLE package or kernel-patch-freeswan STABLE
> > package?
>
> This package exists only in unstable.

Yes, but kernel-patch-freeswan-ext can be safely installed on a woody box
(I did it and currently use freeswan-enabled kernels on woody), and the
freeswan package can be compiled from sources on woody (apt-get source
freeswan....) and the result installed without problems.

Bye
Giacomo

Giacomo Mulas <gmulas@ca.astro.it, giacomo.mulas@tin.it>

OSSERVATORIO ASTRONOMICO DI CAGLIARI
Str. 54, Loc. Poggio dei Pini * 09012 Capoterra (CA)

Tel.: +39 070 71180 248     Fax : +39 070 71180 222

"When the storms are raging around you, stay right where you are"
                         (Freddy Mercury)