Re: DHCP - rootkit

hi ya noah

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 04:12:54PM -0800, Alvin Oga wrote:
> > i say modifying files is a give away .. that says
> > "come find me" .... which is trivial since its modified
> > binaries
>
> If they do it right, it's not a giveaway.  If they're quick, thorough,
> and accurate, they can certainly do it right.  On the other hand, I've

if they do get in... i wanna know within a second (wishfully) that they
got in ( an email is sent elsewhere of who/where they came from )
	- than if i am online ... i got um in the act ...

	i've done  "rm their_code.c" while they are in the machine ...
	makes um wonder.... :-)  and move files around on them .. :-)

am not as worried about the determined hacker/crackers that
can modify binaries such that md5sum matches my tripewire db and
other security precautions (databases and baseline) of my servers
	- if they do come visiting ... we've got a serious problem
	and my clients aren't banks ( literally/figuratively )

i just want to make 90-95% of the attempts fail from the script kidies
and local wanna be admins that goes around changing the lan network,
config files, topology, passwds etc
	- 80-90% of all these attempts are users trying to bypass
	corp security policy

	- or just playing .. tripping all the alrms in the process
	of testing/learning what they can do

- and they very quickly find dhcp is disallowed :-)
	and they cant send email that dhcp doesnt work :-)
	and they cant randomly or add +1 to their current assigned ip#
	to get online

- always leave an easy guinne pig ( decoys ) for them to play with ...

c ya
alvin