Securing Apache: vserver or chroot ?

Hi.

I have been thinking about puting apache inside a place it cannot harm
anything else on the system.

We are serving web pages for several projects and we cannot control what
every of them do (PHPNuke, PostNuke and friends have their big share of
vulnerabilities).

I have been reading about two possibilities, among others.

* Vserver (http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/miscprj/s_context.hc)

A patch for the kernel which provides context creation and jailing, so
that processes are controled by the kernel, and can be isolated from
other contexts.

Allows you to stop/start/restart the vservers, and provides a set of
tools to work with them (even to create them).

* Chroot

The linux system call to jail a subtree.

Has to be created and maintained manually.

If anyone has experience with the solutions introduced above or has
another kind of suggestion...

The other problem is how to prepare it:

In the case of vserver, it can be done by copying the tree to a new
location (/usr/vserverXX/) or just by mounting using --bind flag on
mount (allowing a dir to be mounted on to another mount point).

Any experience here?

Thanks in advance!

mooch

--
Jesus Climent | Unix System Admin | Helsinki, Finland.
web: www.hispalinux.es/~data/  |  pumuki.hispalinux.es

Shall I make us a nice cup of tea, Ma'am ?
		--Mrs. Mills (The others)