Re: port 16001 and 111

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Jussi Ekholm wrote:

> So, what would try to connect to my system's port 16001 and 111 from
> within my own system? Should I be concerned? Should I expect the worst?

port 16001 means that you are running gnome, and is perfectly normal. Port
111 is the portmapper, which means that there is a client connecting to an
RPC based service on your computer, i.e. NIS, whatever like that. As an
example, there are a few encrypted file systems which make use of NFS
on localhost, like CFS and SFS. Check it out. However, by the looks of it
it does not seem anything dangerous.

Bye
Giacomo

Giacomo Mulas <gmulas@ca.astro.it, giacomo.mulas@tin.it>

OSSERVATORIO ASTRONOMICO DI CAGLIARI
Str. 54, Loc. Poggio dei Pini * 09012 Capoterra (CA)

Tel.: +39 070 71180 248     Fax : +39 070 71180 222

"When the storms are raging around you, stay right where you are"
                         (Freddy Mercury)