Re: [OT] named logs

On Sat, Oct 12, 2002 at 02:03:42PM +0200, repasi.tibor wrote:
> Oct 11 23:53:09 panda named[15451]: No root nameservers for class IN

This is odd.  Is /etc/bind/named.root configured correctly?  It may be
that named.conf isn't pointing to the right named.root file since you're
running in a chroot.  named.conf should contain something like:
zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "/etc/bind/named.root";
};

Make sure the file refered to there exists relative to the chroot.

> Oct 11 23:53:09 panda named[15451]: sysquery: findns error (SERVFAIL) on
> kr2ld.dacom.co.kr?
>
> I think this isn't a security problem, since named is running in a
> chroot jail, but I'd like to know what has happened?

Security problems most certainly can exist in a chroot, it's just that
they're usually isolated to the chroot environment.  Even that's not
always the case, though.

In any case, the SERVFAIL message is just letting you know that
kr2ld.dacom.co.kr has a broken DNS configuration.  What a surprise.  I
would wager that properly configured zones are a rarity in Korea.

noah