Re: export problems on security updates?

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 05:37:38PM -0400, Chris Caldwell wrote:
> My understanding is that the law restricts U.S. citizens from
> exporting certain types of cryptographic software. As a non-US
> national, I believe you have a moral responsibility to thumb your
> nose at US law.

At this point, the US hardly has the most obnoxious crypto laws you're
likely to find.  Personally, I'd take US crypto laws over, for example,
France or South Africa.  At this point, I think the people still
complaining about US crypto laws are just whining and/or paranoid.

The only "certain types" of cryptographic software that are restricted
are closed source programs, which we need not worry about.  Even then,
you merely have to submit the software to the government in order to
export it.  If you think that's bad, you should go read an account of
what things used to be like.

Yes, open source people still need to send email to the government in
order to export crypto software, but that's *it*.  That hardly what it
used to be.

> In any case, security updates are usually bug-fixes, not "security
> software", per se.

No, but a fix in, for example, OpenSSL still involves downloading crypto
software.

noah