Re: Having been open relay for a moment

On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 03:36:15PM +0300, Anton Zinoviev wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Yesterday I received a report from ordb.org that the server I
> administer (lml.bas.bg) is an open relay.  This information was used
> immediately by spammers.  I was able to close the relay a few hours
> latter.  I have some questions regarding this:
>
>    1. The spammers continue attempts to use lml.bas.bg as a relay.  As a
>       result exim generates about 50Mb log files per hour.  How I can
>       stop exim from logging messages like ".... refused relay to ..."?
>
>    2. It is possible that in the queues of exim there are still some
>       spams.  How can I remove them?
>
>    3. In the log-files of exim I have a huge list of e-mail addresses
>       of spammers (such as adam2971007@yahoo.com).  Can I do something
>       useful with them?
>
>    4. It seams to me that spammers ought to pay ordb.org for their
>       service.  A few years ago when I had similar problem ordb gave
>       me enough time to fix the problem.  Why don't they do the same
>       now?  As humans we can make mistakes.
>
> Sincerely, Anton Zinoviev

Your best bet is the exim mailing list run by Philip Hazel, the
author.

There is very extensive documentation in /usr/share/doc/exim/spec.txt.gz

If there is nothing but junk mail sitting in the queue, which is often
the case since good mail is delivered quickly, you can just wipe
everything in the subdirectories /var/spool/exim/db, input, msglog/*
as exim recreates anything it really needs in db. If you're paranoid
you can first

	cd /var/spool/exim/msglog
	exim -M *

to try to send anything sendable before wiping.