Re: cryptoloop confusion

Ivo Timmermans, 2002-Aug-28 07:57 +0200:
> Jeff wrote:
> > I've decided to learn how to setup an encrypted filesystem using the
> > cryptoloop method and I'm having troubles getting my kernal source
> > patched correctly.  I've read the "Loopback Encrypted Filesystem
> > HOWTO", but it's outdated.  Here are a number of patches for kernel
> > 2.4.18 and I'm confused as to which one(s) to use.
>
> Could you try my cryptoapi packages?  They're waiting to be accepted
> into unstable, so you can't get to them directly, but i uploaded them
> to my private repository as well:
>
> 	http://home.o2w.net/~ivo/debian/
>
> I'm very curious to hear if these packages have the same problem.
>
> BTW, kernel-patch-int is deprecated, you should be using cryptoapi, so
> you should install the 'cryptoapi-core-source' and 'cryptoloop-source'
> packages from my site.

Ivo,

I did some more research and I'm getting some conflicting
information.  In another message on this thread I'm told that I need
the kernel-patch-int.  Anyway, I downloaded your crypto...debs and
installed them.  They created source directories in /usr/src/modules.
I then went to the top of the cryptoapi directory and ran:

root # make patchkernel KDIR=/usr/src/linux-2.4.18 LOOP=iv
make: *** No rule to make target `patchkernel'.  Stop.

I can't find any other documentation on this to help me out.  I looked
at the howto you reference in the README.Debian file in your source
directories, which describe the patchkernel process above, but I've
found nothing to help me.

The 2.4.18 source tree in /usr/src is fresh from kernel.org also.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but I haven't found what it is
yet.

thanks,
jc

--