Re: Apache Log Files

In article <[🔎] Pine.LNX.4.44.0208181146490.22682-100000@cicero.axis.se>
cristian.ionescu-idbohrn@axis.com writes:
>On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Matthew Sackman wrote:
>> Does anyone know of a simple program that will return info on whois IP
>> lookup in a set format?
>You might want to have a look at this:
>
>  http://www.blars.org/hinfo.html
>
>It returns some interesting info in this format:
>
>,----
>| Processing zesa.co.zw (196.2.69.9)
>| abuse.net addresses:
>|         postmaster@zesa.co.zw (default, no info)
>| 196.2.69.9 is zesa.co.zw
>| 196.2.69.9 is in ORDB open relays as 127.0.0.2
>| 196.2.69.9 is in osirusoft relays as 127.0.0.2
>|         Verified open relay
>| 196.2.69.9 is in njabl as 127.0.0.2
>|         spam source or open relay
>| 196.2.69.9 is in rfc-ignorant ipwhois as 127.0.0.6
>`----
>
>It doesn't seem to be packaged for Debian, which is a pitty.

Should I consider this a request?  I'm not a debian developer, but
packaging this would probably be a good first one starting as a new
maintainer, since I'm the upstream.

I've done some rewriting since the last time I've released, it's more
efficient on most non-us queries, as well as knowing about lacnic and
having some restructuring on the configuration.  It still needs a man
page, and some more work on the config setup.  (I just thought of a
few ideas on that while I was writing this.)

While hinfo does do whois queries (that part of the code started out
as a copy of the geektools whois server, but it has diverged
significantly), the results are not easy for a computer to parse since
the various whois servers aren't consistent.

The abuse.net and DNSBL sections of the code are consistent, but it
might be better to use them as examples of how to do it rather than
calling hinfo from a program.

--
Blars Blarson			blarson@blars.org
				http://www.blars.org/blars.html