Re: debian-security-announce-$lang@lists?

On Wednesday, 2002-08-14 at 11:55:29 +0200, Siegbert Baude wrote:

> I dislike this attitude "No English, no IT". In many states school systems aren't good enough or English is not taught
> as first foreign language. As a side note: I personally know Germans and foreign Chinese students here in Germany
> working in this business, whose English skills wouldn`t allow reading complicated DSAs.

I think as a German I'm allowed to say this:

No English, no security. There will always be bits and pieces available
in English only. Making DSAs available in foreign languages will help
amateurs without sufficient English skills to keep their systems up
to date.

For professionals, required reading is debian-security (or whatever
foo-security list applies to their system), BUGTRAQ, maybe
full-disclosure if you can stand it ;-), and some other mailing lists.

None of these is available in translation, and mailing lists are
generally too fast moving to allow for translation.

So while I applaud the effort going into the DSA translations, I don't
think any professional admin should skip the English originals. Hence
I think a days delay for the translations is allright. (And I admire
the people who volunteer to do it in such a short timeframe.)

Lupe Christoph
--
| lupe@lupe-christoph.de       |           http://www.lupe-christoph.de/ |
| "After a while you give up trying to escape who you are".              |