Re: [SECURITY] [DSA-136-1] Multiple OpenSSL problems

On Thursday, August 1, 2002, at 01:33 PM, Ted Deppner wrote:

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 12:19:52PM -0500, Paul Baker wrote:
Is there an ETA yet on potato packages, or should I continue to try and
backport the woody packages to my potato machines myself?

Just as an encouragement, the upgrade process from potato to woody is
pretty painless. I've already done all my public facing machines without
any "real" service downtime, need to reboot, etc.

Yeah it *should* be painless. Unfortuneately, we are using our own compiled apache, mod*, mysql, and a few other things in /usr/local. As part of the upgrade to woody though I want to start using only Debian versions of software. So there is a bit of extra testing/configuring involved to make that work. We also were using our own version of perl 5.6.1 in /usr/local. Want to start using Debian's 5.6.1. This also means that any locally installed CPAN modules will be in the wrong place to work with that perl, so there is further work involved in making sure that all the perl modules we are using get installed from woody, and if not, that we get them from sid, or make them ourselves.

Further than that I also want to make all of our own companies software into Debian packages as part of the rollout of Woody. This is the long and painful part. It's more or less an all or nothing task, so there is a LOT of testing involved in making sure this transition is smooth so we don't have any downtime.

And of course I understand that all of the above is not Debian's fault. But it is the reason I hope Debian supports Potato longer than they did slink because I have a ton of work ahead of me. :-)

--
Paul Baker

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
         -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759

GPG Key: http://homepage.mac.com/pauljbaker/public.asc