Re: Updated Package List

"Jens Hafner" <jens.h@fner.org> writes:

> some of you suggested to remove portmap in order close some more port
> and thereby increase security. Since I never really understood what the
> pormapper was doing, I though I could do without it. However, once I
> tried to uninstall the package with dselect, I got a dependency issue
> saying that netbase suggests on portmap. Is that something I can ignore?
> Thanks for your help.

Yes.  Only if a package (pre-)depends on another package you can not
ignore it.  Packages that are merely recommended or suggested should
always be removable without breaking things (unless you specifically
activated functionality that depends on the presence of such packages
of course).
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                            EPSON KOWA Corporation, ECS
LPIC-2               -- I hack, therefore I am --                 BOFH