Re: error msg

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 09:51:19AM +0200, Giacomo Mulas wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, Liu, GuangYu wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
> > 	Anybody knows what caused the following error message:
> >
> > Jul 30 13:16:35 liugy rpc.statd[298]: gethostbyname error for
> > ^X???^X???^Y???^Y???^Z???^Z???^[???^[???%8x%8x%8x%8x%8x%8x%8x%8x%8x%236x%n%1
>
> it means somebody tried to cause a buffer overflow on your rpc.statd to
> gain access to your computer. The very fact that you saw that log line and
> that rpc.statd is still running means that the attempt failed (it was an

I am not sure about that. I got once attacked in a similiar manner where
the attacker managed to get him/herself an account on the maschine in
question and to reboot it. The only reason the attack didn't go
further was that the attacker forgot to generate an own ssh-key and
could not log in (only public-key login allowed)

Mathias