ssh x forwarding

I've been trying to figure out how to get ssh forwarding working between two
linux boxes here at home.  It's not terribly important while I'm at home,
but I'd like to able to ssh into my server while elsewhere and run x apps
remotely.  (Specificly, fwbuilder).

Anyway, the remote machine that I want to run applications on has xfree86
installed, xauth installed (which is required) as well as openssh.  I've
set "X11Forwarding yes" in /etc/ssh/sshd_config, and when I run ssh from my
client pc (laptop) i get the following which seems to indicate that the
tunnel with forwarding was established..

debug1: Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication spoofing.
debug1: channel request 0: x11-req
debug1: Requesting authentication agent forwarding.
debug1: channel request 0: auth-agent-req@openssh.com
debug1: channel request 0: shell
debug1: fd 3 setting TCP_NODELAY
debug1: channel 0: open confirm rwindow 0 rmax 32768

on the server, xauth list shows..

superunit/unix:10  MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1  03a8b6ab8c12d4fbc390ae1a7e9739b3

which seems to indicate that ssh did establish a spoofed x auth.

$DISPLAY is automatically set to DISPLAY="localhost:10.0" by ssh.

so things should run right? nope.  when I try and fire up xeyes (to test),
it just sits there for several minutes (literally) and does nothing.  After
waiting for a while, i get a

"Error: Can't open display: localhost:10.0"

If I bypass ssh entirely and use host based x authentication, remote x
apps work fine.  But I'd much rather use ssh ;)

Both boxes run Debian sid, latest (and matching) versions of X, OpenSSH,
etc.  Kernel 2.4.18 both boxes.

Ideas?  I'm out of em.

--
Thanks, and take it easy,
	Charles <xterminus@myrealbox.com>

Please encrypt personal email with GnuGP.