dselect / apt-get and packages

Hi

I just have a silly question: During a discussion in a newsgroup about the
Mac OS X Software Update vulnerabity
(http://www.cunap.com/~hardingr/projects/osx/exploit.html) someone said,
that this could happen with debian, too. I argued, that this is not possible
as debian uses pgp / gpg signatures to check the integrity of the packages.

My question now is the following:

I'm working with dselect to do an update. Then I install all the new
packages. Are the package's signatures checked automatically AND would the
system complain if a signature wouldn't be valid or missing?

Marcel