RE: CERT Advisory CA-2002-19 Buffer Overflow in Multiple DNS Resolver Libraries

I don't think this is 'fixed'? I am assuming that an update for libc6
for stable will follow as soon as the security team are able.

For example dnsutils 1:8.2.3-0.potato.1 contains /usr/bin/aaaa which ldd
shows uses libc.so.6 and libresolv.so.2

The worrying thing about this vulnerability is its wide reaching
implication: it affects hosts that access DNS servers - i.e. if your
host requests DNS info from a malicious DNS server, the response may
contain a buffer overflow that will affect your host.

For example let's say you have a web server - no other services. If you
have it configured to log the names of hosts accessing sites, it may
look up an IP and receive a buffer overflow in return.

This is not a vulnerability so much in servers running BIND, but a
vulnerability in hosts that access a DNS server.

Regards
Jeff