Re: secure file transfer (again)

On 2002-06-06 at 10:18, Alf B Lervåg wrote:

> Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 10:18:58 +0200
> From: Alf B Lervåg <alfborge@pvv.ntnu.no>
> To: debian-security@lists.debian.org
> Subject: secure file transfer (again)
>
> Reading the previous thread on secure file transfer, I felt
> like starting a thread myself.  This summer, I've been
> assigned the task of setting up sftp services at our
> university, so we can phase out ftp.
>
> What I'm asking, is if anyone has any experience with
> similiar projects, and if anyone can point me to
> documentation on how to setup the services, and also point me
> to sftp clients for different oses.
>
> ssh is already up and running on the servers, so I'm figuring
> that the sftp server shouldn't be too hard to get running.
> Problem is making things easy to use for our students. (Guess
> this falls in under the sftp client question.)

I've found that gftp is a fairly good *nix client (I run it on
Debian but don't know how portable it is). Graphical etc. so
nice and easy to use. Seems quite stable too.

For Windows, the ssh client from www.ssh.com is the best I've
found. Don't know if free for university use though. If you
want a free client, WinSCP is best I've used, though it's far
more buggy than the aforementioned.

Regards,
Andrew

--