Re: script for security update notification

On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 09:41:46AM -0400, Nathan Valentine wrote:

> I'm thinking of writing a script but I am hoping that someone else has
> beaten me to the punch. Perhaps someone has seen something that will do
> this:
>
> 1) Check the Debian security announcement list.
> 2) Compare new announcements to the local package database.
> 3) If vulnerable packages installed, send an 'I need updated' email to
> an address defined by the SysAdmin.
>
> Anyone ever seen such a beast? I've searched the archives of this list
> and not found any reference to anything along these lines.

If an announcement has been made, then there is a fixed package available,
and (assuming you have the relevant sources.list entry) it will be
automatically made available to apt, and all you need is a tool like
apt-show-versions (or even apt-get) to automatically retrieve a list of
packages for which updates exist.

--
 - mdz