Re: sendmail, masquerading and HELO

Richard A Nelson (cowboy@debian.org) wrote on 21 May 2002 11:26:
 >You do know why the Received lines are there right?

I thought I knew but after this remark I'm no longer sure :-)

 >> What's annoying is that some sites are using the helo= field to check
 >> the IP address via dns. Since in this case it's an internal addres
 >> it'll obviously not work, and these sites are refusing to receive
 >> email from us.
 >
 >Such sites are broken - apply cluex4 repeatedly until they understand
 >that they are to verify *ONLY* the sending MTA...  And they *HAVE* its
 >IP, they check forward/reverse resolution on it, and only it.

I think I wasn't clear, sorry. In the headers below

 >On Tue, 21 May 2002, Carlos Carvalho wrote:
 >> The problem is that sendmail puts in the headers the internal host
 >> name, as you can see from this message itself and here is another
 >> example:

 >>         by hoggar.fisica.ufpr.br (8.11.2/8.11.2/Debian 8.11.2-1)
 >>         ************************

the sending MTA is hoggar.fisica.ufpr.br, and that's what they're
trying to test. foo.bar.ufpr.br is the receiving MTA. So I think
they're doing right. I'm trying to stop hoggar's sendmail from telling
the world its hostname, and only announce its domain name.

 >> Is there a way to make sendmail put the domain name in the helo field
 >> and all the received headers?
 >
 >If you have administrative control over *all* boxen, yes - you can
 >define your own Received: header format...  I don't know if I had
 >the file in 8.11.2, but in 8.12.3, check
 >/usr/share/sendmail/cf/hack/virthost_by_ip.m4 for an example.

I don't think this is a problem of the header format, it's a problem
of the transmitted information. The Received: header format is up to
the receiving MTA, what ends up there is a problem of the sending MTA,
and this is what I'm trying to do.