stable/secure mini-distros

> From: Tim Uckun [mailto:tim@diligence.com]
> What is needed is a distro based on debian, following the same
> rules of safety as debian, using the same packages etc.
> Everything is the same except that apt-sources points to a list
> which contains a smaller set of platform specific packages.
> This list get's updated as often is possible while staying with
> the safety requirements of debian.

We may be willing to put effort where mouth is, as the current
situation is far from ideal, and twood be a sad day if Debian were
to continue to fade into the shadows of outdated package obscurity,
so,

0)    Is this even possible?
1)    Can we flesh up a more concrete set of objectives?
1.a)  and a set of outline steps to achieve this?
2)    Which is the best Debian forum?
2.a)  Who needs to be involved [DPL?]