Re: how to use -j DROPLOG in iptables?

* Patrick Hsieh (pahud@pahud.net) [020508 20:24]:
> Hello,
>
> When I use -j DROPLOG in iptables, my woody complains:
> iptables v1.2.6a: Couldn't load target `DROPLOG':/lib/iptables/libipt_DROPLOG.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> Try `iptables -h' or 'iptables --help' for more information.

I've never seen DROPLOG; it's some kind of extension, no? What I have
seen people do is something like this:

iptables -N logndrop
iptables -A logndrop -j LOG
iptables -A logndrop -j DROP

and then use -j logndrop wherever they want to log and drop a packet.

Personally, I don't find it too much trouble to specify 2 lines (a log
and a drop) each time I want to discard a packet. It gives me the added
benefit of specifying a separate --log-prefix for each place in my
filter that things are dropped.

good times,
Vineet
--
Currently seeking opportunities in the SF Bay Area
Please see http://www.doorstop.net/resume.shtml