Re: Fixing file system privileges

also sprach Kovacs Istvan <kofa@alarmix.net> [2002.05.09.1621 +0200]:
> I screwed up file system privileges, issuing a chmod -R in the wrong (/
> -- where else?) directory :-( Is there a way to fix this?

yes, if you have a tripwire (or other integrity checker) database
around... otherwise only manually. i always have `ls -lR /` outputs
stored in /root for a couple of weeks for that case...

but: why not save your /etc, /home, and /var, dpkg --get-selections
into a file, reinstall, and then one after the other restore your
settings? that might be faster...

be nice to your kids. they'll choose your nursing home.