RE: failed ssh breakins on my exposed www box ..

I'm impressed. Even here in Tokyo, where "a cop on ever street corner" is not just an Orwellian slur, the only people who get that kind of service are the ones who directly pay their salaries.

Seriously, the only person you can rely on is you. You're the one on the scene, be it a mugging or a cracking. If you don't defend yourself, your property or your data, no one else will.

Going to court is a difficult process. As England is learning right now, so long as the attacker thinks you cannot endanger them they will continue their attacks and even escalate. Script kiddies are no different, they are emboldened by their successes.

So unless someone actively hurts these malicious crackers, it's only going to get worse. "We" need to make sure that when someone gives us enough evidence to "prove" their guilt, that they get prosecuted. No, I don't know enough to gather that evidence, but I know there are people who can and do.

I saw a really funny site (linked from Slashdot, no idea how to find it now) where a spammer was white-hat hacked. This guy posted the spammers names, addresses, telephone numbers, advertising solicitation materials, photographs... who knows if it didn't increase their business? Exposure is exposure, after all.

Curt-