Re: Unusual logging

On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 06:12:02PM -0600, Jay Kline wrote:
> What seems odd to me is the the yyy IP is originating from such a low port
> (3) which means the system is most likely not unix or windows (or at least
> not standard apps), unless using some specific application. Anyone know of
> one that does this?

Errm, no, you are missing the fact that PROTO=1.  That means it's ICMP
traffic.  His iptables blocked a Destination Unreachable ICMP message.
Those get sent by Unix and non-Unix systems all the time, but typically
not by userland stuff.

Personally, I would label this a misconfigured firewall.  There are
others out there who do like to block such messages.  I don't see the
point.

noah