Re: wierd connection attempt

Josh Frick wrote:

> Yes,  I most definitely was confused.  Thank you for the clarification.
> I'm not familiar with the RFCs.  My question,  however,  remains:
> aren't network addresses in that range supposed to be prevented from
> crossing (i.e. being routed) the internet?  If they are,  then it's
> possible this traffic is local,  is it not?  I believe my DSL ISP
> assigns a "private"  class IP address before connection.  Would this
> then indicate that the connection attempt was made by another customer
> of the person's ISP?

Exactly. Perhaps this person's ISP is not the filtering the bogus
messages from reaching it's other customers, or perhaps the messages are
passing through outside routers that are not complying with the RFC, and
allowing them to travel so far. It's most likely that it is coming from
another subscriber to the ISP's network.

-Will Wesley, CCNA
"A prediction is worth twenty explanations." -- K. Brecher