IP chains logs to console

I recently upgraded to Woody and now my ipchains is logging all DENY packets to
the console, as well as to disk.  I changed /etc/syslog.conf to contain one line:

          kern.*   /var/log/mbtest.log

and set user = root group = adm on the file and the DENY messages are still
logged to disk and the console.  I've got plenty of disk space.

I found two threads via Google (June '02 and Sept. '02) where people were having
the same problem, but neither thread had a solution.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-firewall/2001/debian-firewall-200106/msg00167.html

http://www.progsoc.uts.edu.au/lists/slug/2001/September/msg00436.html

Anyone know how I fix this?   Thanks.

Mark

P.S. I'm not subscribed to debian-security, so if you could include my email in
the reply I would appreciate it.