Re: Say, wheres 2.2.20?

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 10:54:57AM -0800, Xeno Campanoli wrote:
> Mike Fedyk wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 01:11:34PM +0800, Mo Zhen Guang wrote:
> > > as always, security update may be troublesome with testing distribution.
> > > stable is much easier
> > > Mo
> > >

> > Version: 2.2.20-2
> > Provides: kernel-image
> > Depends: fileutils (>= 4.0)
> >
> > What version of fileutils is in potato?
> >
> > All that the package supplies is the kernel.  It will be as stable as any
> > other kernel package wheather it is in stable or not (it's the official
> > 2.2.20) so what's your prob?  Maybe you should check before you assume that
> > just because it's in testing that it's not stable.
>
> I'll keep that in mind.  If it is really that difficult for it to go
> through the process to become formalized as stable, then is that
> difficulty all wasted effort?

Debian's release/revision (from stable to stable) process is much slower
than the kernel's.  That's a known fact.

If you want to wait... that's up to you.  If you want more recent stuff
(including kernels packaged by debian) you should use testing.

I wouldn't use stable for much more than a server you never look at, but if
you need to use it for new purposes, you'll probably need woody/testing.