Re: FTP-SSL

Quoting Joey Hess (joeyh@debian.org):

> sftp is of value if only because it lets you use lftp fish:// , so you
> get a kick-ass ftp client interface with ssh encrypted goodness in the
> backend.

I quite forgot about the _very_ nice FISH (FIles over SHell) protocol, and
have just now been playing with it.   _However_, I'm not sure it
requires or uses sftp.  http://lftp.yar.ru/features.html states:

   FISH protocol support. It uses ssh with no special program on
   server side.

The idea of FISH has the client side using a type of glue software
called an IOSlave (one for FISH) to remap client requests as shell
commands sent over an ssh tunnel, and then map back the return values.
Several implementations exist.  A suitably compiled kdebase 3.x package
would include the kio_fish one[1], but I don't think ours do, yet(?).[2]

Midnight Commander supports it as a virtual filesystem:
http://canvas.gnome.org:65348/mc/maillist/98-09/30222.905989653.154697968.html

[1] http://ich.bin.kein.hoschi.de/fish/

[2] My silly wild-ass guess, based on having installed unofficial konqueror
and kioslave packages from http://people.debian.org/~schoepf/kde3/woody/ .

--
Cheers,             We write precisely            We say exactly
Rick Moen           Since such is our habit in    How to do a thing or how