Re: init.d startup sequence for shorewall

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 03:55:56PM -0500, Matt Zimmerman remarked:

> On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 05:39:37PM -0800, Yogesh Sharma wrote:
> > networking comes up at S35 in runlevel 0 so my internet is
> > up and there is no firewall running so far.

> runlevel 0 is system shutdown and halt.  The network is not
> brought up in this runlevel. :-)
> --
>  - mdz

There have been several responses to Yogesh's question, but none
of them provide a clear and straightforward answer.

Does anyone know why Shorewall leaves the system unprotected
between network startup and firewall startup, whether it is a
security risk, and if so what can be done about it besides crude
workarounds?

Cheers,
Raymond