Re: Updating Snort Signatures In Stable ?

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 12:32:21AM +0000, Nick Boyce wrote:
> >On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 02:46:01AM +0000, Nick Boyce wrote:
> >> I'd suggest maybe a note about V1.8.4 being "useless" should be added
> >> to http://packages.debian.org/stable/net/snort.html, along with some
> >> advice about getting signature updates (i.e. roll your own).
> >
> >	Why not file a bug?
>
> Erm, ok - is that the right way to get a docs amendment done ?

	What doc are you talking about? The html page is generated
automatically based on the package description.

> (Rather than, say, emailing the package maintainer, who I see is
> Robert van der Meulen <rvdm@debian.org>) ?

	It's best to use the BTS, that way _you_ can track/discuss with
the maintainer and this information is public for others to browse/comment
on.

> If I submit a bug (never done that before) for this, would you say it
> should have severity "important", or "minor" ?  (It doesn't seem like
> a "normal" bug :-)

	Please read first: bugs.debian.org
	The bug you are talking about is a 'wishlist' (or minor) bug. The
package can be used but you would like something to be done to fix a given
issue. Notice that your issue is a problem, not related to the Debian
package, but to the way the snort project changes the rules _and_ the IDS
engine.

	Please open this bug giving appropiate information so that the
maintainer can understand the issue, try to be as "verbose" as possible
and (maybe) suggest how it could be fixed. Also, first check if it has
been reported before (go to bugs.debian.org/snort) and see the 'open'
bugs.

	Regards

	Javi