Re: Pop mail virtual user security [LONG]

On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 12:29:09PM -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 07 Dec 2002, Tim van Erven wrote:
>> Inspired by a recent thread on this list I decided to set up a
>> mailserver with pop3 access over ssl. It's working now, but I'd
>> appreciate some comments on its security. My setup is as follows:
>
> I'd suggest trying a closed spool system like Cyrus 2.1.* for that... It
> supports IMAP _and_ POP, in SSL and TLS versions...

AFAIK Cyrus only stores mail in a custom format. I'd prefer using either
mbox or maildir so I can use standard utils to manipulate them if I ever
feel the need.

In addition, Cyrus is probably more suitable for large sites. I'm just
running this on old hardware for some friends and family, so I prefer a
more lightweight setup.

Thanks for pointing out another alternative though.

--
Tim van Erven <tripudium@chello.nl>
OpenPGP Key ID: 712CB811        Fingerprint: F6C9 61EE 242C C012 36D5