Re: DHCP

Quoting Alvin Oga (aoga@Maggie.Linux-Consulting.com):
>> Um, Alvin?  You might want to look up the definition of "rootkit".
>
> my definition ... anything that allows an un-educated user to just
> run that tool to break into other peoples network and machines
> 	( there's too many "rootkits" to count )

That's just not what a rootkit is.  Sorry.

>> This confusion has also come up elsewhere, on LinuxToday:
>> http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2002-09-20-011-26-SC-SV
>
> tht just talks about arresting some poor soul ??

Read the talkbacks, at the bottom.

>>> - spoofing and other techie stuff requires one more year of school
>>
>> Setting a fake MAC address requires nothing more than reading the
>> ifconfig manpage.  Acquiring one to "borrow" requires nothing more than
>> unning tcpdump or equivalent.
>
> yes... but setting up a fake mac address and few additional things
> to do is the next level above the ordinary "tom-dick-harry" that
> receives a rootkit via email, clicks it and now gets to attack
> any machine susceptible to that rootkit

1.  That's not what a rootkit does.
2.  The sophistication required to read an ifconfig manpage is mighty
    low.

--
Cheers,     "Learning Java has been a slow and tortuous process for me.  Every
Rick Moen   few minutes, I start screaming 'No, you fools!' and have to go