From: Jones, Steven [mailto:sjones08@eds.com]
Sent: Monday, October 28, 2002 8:06 PM
To: 'Stewart James'; debian-security@lists.debian.org
Subject: RE: DHCP

ik campus....

ik

so zilch physical security........

you didnt say this in your earlier post, this has severe security
implications, in fact Id suggest you'd be a danger to the internet....

I'd suggest a letter to the ppl that want this and tell them of the
severe secuity implications of what they want.

you'd be a hackers/spammers dream.......sit in the carpark with a laptop
and wi-fi and spam the world.....

cant use static mapping of IPs to MACs.....to many unknown MACs, well
you can....

request each person registers thier machine with the helldesk and gets a
static IP given out locked to the MAC address they provide. Run arpwatch
to look for illegal connections....

We are trialing wi-fi city wide, the wi-fi lan is behind a firewall and
are blocking port 25, then opening up ports as requested based on
merits.

DHCP is the least of your worries.......

This is not really a debian security issue but a general security issue,
I would suggest you get a security policy written and get it agreed with
"management". its your best set of defences from getting screwed over
when something goes wrong. Also writing this and getting it agreed will
give you time to research and get up to speed.

Also the DHCP server should have a firewall of its own at the very
least.

It suggests careful planning is needed before implimentation, possibly a
campus wide audit after a policy is agreed (you audit against the
policy)

regards

Im writing a policy myself and its taking a while.it will be posted on
the Internet once done for free use and comment. The debian security
howto is good, if you have not read it please do.

I'd split campus network up into a trusted and untrusted LAN )incl wi-fi
network), the untrusted LAN should be treated as the Internet ie a
danger zone and firewalled...

i could go on and on......i suspect you have a lot to do......

regards

Steven