From: "Zeno Davatz" <zdavatz@ywesee.com>
To: "Riku Valli" <riku.valli@lanwan.fi>; <debian-security@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Monday, September 30, 2002 11:41 AM
Subject: Re: Newbie - wants to close ports

On 30.9.2002 10:22 Uhr, "Riku Valli" <riku.valli@lanwan.fi> wrote:

> Disable services. Edited /etc/inetd.conf and add # to unwanted service or
> use update-inetd program to complete task. Restart inetd super daemon
> /etc/init.d/inetd restart
Thanks I commented out all services from /etc/inetd.conf that I do not want
- actually now everything has got a #

> stop service ex /etc/init.d/named stop
> /etc/init.d/program_name add beginning of script 'exit 0'  examble of
named
> (listen 53)
Can you give me an example with 'finger'

> Anyway if you not need service REMOVE IT examble
> apt-get remove program_name These is suitable for most services under
init.d
I tried this ie. The finger-package is not on my system but still the finger
port is open. I done apt-get --purge remove finger then I get: no such
package installed..

> Use man/info service_name You will found most of cases more information...
> /usr/share/doc/package_name You will found  package documentation...
Done this as well for tcpmux. I do not have an entry for that service in my
man pages.

> /usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-txt should be installed your system (Debian3.0)
read
> firewall and security HOWTOs and check Debians own document
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/index.en.html
Thanks for the link. Will read this once again.

Zeno