Re: Newbie - wants to close ports

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Zeno Davatz wrote:

> That is exactly what I am trying to do: stop all unwanted services. To me it
> seems more difficult to to do then so say...
>
> Can you give me a hint how to stop ie. tcpmux and finger?

find out what processes are listening on those ports. You can do it, e.g.
using lsof or netstat, see the man pages to learn exactly which command
line options you need top use.

Bye
Giacomo

Giacomo Mulas <gmulas@ca.astro.it, giacomo.mulas@tin.it>

OSSERVATORIO ASTRONOMICO DI CAGLIARI
Str. 54, Loc. Poggio dei Pini * 09012 Capoterra (CA)

Tel.: +39 070 71180 248     Fax : +39 070 71180 222

"When the storms are raging around you, stay right where you are"
                         (Freddy Mercury)