Re: Media Hackers

On Sat, Sep 28, 2002 at 10:59:47PM -0500, Mike Barushok wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Sep 2002, Samuele Giovanni Tonon wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Sep 28, 2002 at 05:36:06PM +0100, Dale Amon wrote:
> > > I'm curious if anyone has thought about ways of blocking
> > > this sort of attack before it gets to the home user?
> > > 	http://www.the-dailyrant.com/archives/000855.html#000855
> > >
> > it depends on the attack: they say they want the
> > "Congress to allow them to be able to legally hack"
> >

> My understanding of this, just from some online study, is
> that what they are contemplating doing at this time would
> be along the lines of:
>
> Custom client uses ...
>[...]

a very "evil" attack :-)

> Really, from what I have read, the way to block it
> would seem to be to limit how many slow connections
> the P2P software would permit.
how much system does it take a socket() ?
because to cirumvent this attack it'easy:
avoid more than one connection from the same ip
and limit not the queue but the bandwith (max_simul_download set to infinite
and bandwith to what u like).
so to limit you , they have to use a lot of "system load" too.
another idea could be to implement in p2p software a sort of
"anti very slow" user, so you start to drop connection from
ppl at less than (say) 1Kbps .
However it looks like that with this kind of attack there's the
need to add new feature to your p2p client.

> Standard disclaimers apply. IANAL. Not anyone's opinion except my
> own. No warranty. Do not eat anything bigger than your head.

LOL

Samuele
--
Samuele Giovanni Tonon  <samu@linuxasylum.net>   http://www.linuxasylum.net/~samu/
          	Acid -- better living through chemistry.