Securing Bugzilla

Hi,
  I've recently been looking to setup bugzilla as a way to keep track
of... well... bugs ;)  Anyway, while setting it up I noticed it was
recommended for security to set create htaccess to 1 so that proper
.htaccess files can be generated.  However, I also noticed that doing
this on debian seems to have no effect and htaccess files are not
generated.  Looking at the checksetup.pl file there's a comment "#  No
htaccess on debian" and disables it (overriding the user defined
setting).
  So my question is two parts.
1) Why is htaccess disabled on Debian? (in bugzilla at least)
and
2) Is it possible then to securely use bugzilla on Debian?  If so what
is the easiest way.

I've tried emailing the maintainer but have yet to receive a response,
so I thought I'd toss it out here and see if anyone had any insight.

Thanks in advance,

Todd