Re: Debian Security Mirror

On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 02:39:09PM -0500, David U. wrote:

> I find that security.debian.org gets "slow" sometimes and it'd be
> nice if there were a couple mirrors like the other debian archives.

If you have sufficient bandwidth somewhere to host a mirror, and the
main problem you experience with security.debian.org is excessive
variation in performance, you could run a nightly mirror job. That's
what I did here when we had 2 T1s of connectivity for a few thousand
students, faculty, staff, etc.

I'm not sure if I actually saved bandwidth in the long run (I mirrored
the whole tree, regardless of architecture, and I've never installed
many of the packages on s.d.o to begin with) -- but at least I'd be
able to point other Debian people here to our local mirror so that
they could update themselves more quickly.

--
Mike Renfro  / R&D Engineer, Center for Manufacturing Research,
931 372-3601 / Tennessee Technological University -- renfro@tntech.edu