Re: differences between iptstate and netstat

On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 03:17:33PM +0100, Dale Amon wrote:
> I'm watching a server right now and find that I really
> can't make much of a correspondence between what iptstate
> shows and what a netstat -anp does.
>
> The problem is the iptstate shows many, many more connections
> to port 80 than the netstat. Large numbers are showing as
> ESTABLISHED on the iptstate. Only a handful show on the
> netstat.
>
> Any idea why?

 Are you running a firewall with iptables connection tracking?  Are the
extra connections (that don't show up in netstat) from internal addresses to
external addresses?  (i.e. neither end of the connection is your firewall's
IP addr?)

 If so, then that's normal.  netstat only shows connections from the local
machine.  iptstate reports the state of the netfilter connection tracking
stuff.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y