RE: "suspicious" apache log entries

What seems to be missed in this thread is the fact that Nimda is not limited
to running on servers.  Of all the machines that have used Nimda style
probing against my IP address in the last week, not one has been a server.
None of the machines respond to port 80.  None of these machines have DNS or
WHOIS records other than for the ISP who owns the IP block.

Perhaps things are different in other IP blocks.  But in the block my
machines are in, it appears that the infected machines are most likely
desktops without virus protection.

I find it unfathomable that significant numbers of servers currently exist
which have not already been patched by now.  The patch has been available
for over 2 years now.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/
bulletin/ms00-057.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/
bulletin/ms00-078.asp

If we accept that the vast majority of machines which are currently infected
with Nimda are desktop machines without Web servers we are left with a few
questions:

  1.  How would one "break in"?

      Using the same exploit as Nimda would most likely involve
      sending the owner an e-mail.  This is problematic because the
      e-mail address is not known.  If the e-mail address were known,
      we could just send the owner an e-mail.  (Although the owner
      is probably already overwhelmed with bounces and what not because
      their machine is infected with Nimda...)

  2.  Who should the compromise be reported to?

      It is unlikely that any of these machines have SMTP servers running
      so the direct approach will fail.  There are no WHOIS/DNS records
      for the compromised machines, only the ISPs.  It is likely that
      many compromised hosts do not even have static IP addresses
      requiring the ISP to look through logs to determine who had a given
      IP address at a given time.