Re: Converting Users from Solaris to (Debian-)Linux

On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 06:16:09PM +0200, Jan-Hendrik Palic wrote:

> >Your solaris hashes arent MD5.
>
> is it not possible to upgrade to MD5 on Solaris?

Whether or not it is possible, it's not a good solution to the
original problem (migrating users from Solaris to Debian). Remember,
we want the users to have the exact same password that they've already
set. We can't decrypt the crypt() hash and retrieve the cleartext
password so that we can automatically convert it to an MD5 hash.

Now, if one system or the other *did* support MD5, I'd think any
existing crypt() passwords would be converted to MD5 as soon as the
user changed their password. But that's not the current problem: if
they were willing to change their passwords as part of the migration,
why worry about the format of the password files at all?

--
Mike Renfro  / R&D Engineer, Center for Manufacturing Research,
931 372-3601 / Tennessee Technological University -- renfro@tntech.edu