Re: Converting Users from Solaris to (Debian-)Linux

On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 01:06:22PM +0200, Jan-Hendrik Palic wrote:

> I have a small problem, I am working on migrating an apache virtual web
> server with 80-120 virtual servers from a solaris to a linux mashine.
>
> I played around with /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow but I saw, that seems
> not to be easy to get it work.

The important parts of both files should be the same, assuming you
used the same crypt mechanism on each (i.e., no MD5 hashes in
/etc/shadow)

Solaris 7 /etc/passwd:
username:x:uid:gid:name:homedir:shell

Solaris 7 /etc/shadow:
username:passwordhash:number::::::

GNU/Linux (woody) /etc/passwd:
username:x:uid:gid:name:homedir:shell

GNU/Linux (woody) /etc/shadow:
username:passwordhash:number:number:number:number:::

The meaning of each number in the shadow file is documented in each
system's manpage for shadow.

> What I want ist, that the users have the same account with the same
> password on the linux maschine and solaris.

Put the hashes from the Solaris shadow into the Debian shadow, and
they'll have the same password.

--
Mike Renfro  / R&D Engineer, Center for Manufacturing Research,
931 372-3601 / Tennessee Technological University -- renfro@tntech.edu