apt-get update connection problem

hi all

Im new to this however I dont beleive the problem being experienced is due
to my newbiehoodism

in my sources.list file I have the following entry +

deb ftp://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free

there are other entries for acouple of mirrors and yes they all work fine
- however when apt-get tries to connect to secuirty.debian.org I get the
following message

Err ftp://security.debian.org stable/updates/* Packages
  Unable to fetch file, server said 'Failed to open file.  '

and then at the end of the apt-get update ; apt-get install option I get

Failed to fetch
ftp://security.debian.org/dists/stable/updates/main/binary-i386/Packages
Unable to fetch file, server said 'Failed to open file.  '
Failed to fetch
ftp://security.debian.org/dists/stable/updates/contrib/binary-i386/Packages
Unable to fetch file, server said 'Failed to open file.  '
Failed to fetch
ftp://security.debian.org/dists/stable/updates/non-free/binary-i386/Packages
Unable to fetch file, server said 'Failed to open file.  '

W: Couldn't stat source package list ftp://security.debian.org
stable/updates/main Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/security.debian.org_dists_stable_updates_main_binary-i386_Packages)
- stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list ftp://security.debian.org
stable/updates/contrib Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/security.debian.org_dists_stable_updates_contrib_binary-i386_Packages)
- stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list ftp://security.debian.org
stable/updates/non-free Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/security.debian.org_dists_stable_updates_non-free_binary-i386_Packages)
- stat (2 No such file or directory)
E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
ones used instead.
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
W: Couldn't stat source package list ftp://security.debian.org
stable/updates/main Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/security.debian.org_dists_stable_updates_main_binary-i386_Packages)
- stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list ftp://security.debian.org
stable/updates/contrib Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/security.debian.org_dists_stable_updates_contrib_binary-i386_Packages)
- stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list ftp://security.debian.org
stable/updates/non-free Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/security.debian.org_dists_stable_updates_non-free_binary-i386_Packages)
- stat (2 No such file or directory)

Can anyone shed any light on this ... I dont beleive it to be a config
problem on my side as I can connect to ftp://security.debian.org via lynx
and all other sources in my sources.list dont ahve a problem connecting
either.

Im running kernel 2.2.20 on Deb 3.0

muchly appreciated

--jarrod